breakmyears

breakmyears

Tuesday 28 September 2010

MAD SIN!

Who? Mad Sin, of course.
Sounds Like? The Damned Meets Elvis
Where? The Fleece, Bristol
When? Friday, September 10th, 2010

As an avid fan of psychobilly, I am a bit of a regular to the scene. Mad Sin are one of the majors in the league of the genre that merges rockabilly and punk hailing from Germany, I'd even go as far to say they are the kings of psychobilly. It is easy to see why they are so influencial, with their theatrical stage presence and horror b-movie themed lyrics, they are a treat to watch. Horror inspired lyrics and dress have since become a staple of psychobilly fashion and music.
Heading to Bristol I knew I was in for a great show, but it outdid expectations with a brilliant list of support acts - Kings of Outer Space (a fellow psychobilly band), Speed Kings and Control (pegged as street punk rejects and delivered a great set of Oi! and got me dancing like crazy). I was already in the mood for a good gig after Control inspired me with their Casualties-style mix of skinhead street punk - always good to have a support act that is up to the challenge of stirring up the crowd!
Mad Sin started with a bang, almost literally. The crowd was straight to their feet and full of rock n' roll spirit. My boyfriend was never a great fan of psychobilly - he is more of a ska punk sort of man (The Specials and the like), however, I am pretty convinced he has been converted after the kings that are Mad Sin! Not many bands can inspire such a unity in the crowd.
Definitely a band to check out, and I am looking forward to Rebellion 2011, where I am sure they will steal the show again!


Verdict? 10/10 Whether or not you enjoy psychobilly, or have even ever heard of it, this gig will get even your grandad moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive